Sunday, May 18, 2008

Week 2- Business Post

Women for the most part are constantly being objectified. It is sad to know that we are seen in a way that "dehumanizes" us. "Women are frequently defined by appearance or by relationships with others, whereas men are more typically defined by activities, accomplishments, or positions."(pg,119)
Generally, men, for the most, part find it hard to see how woman truly are because they have such a hard time looking beyond our exterior. We are more known for what type of body we have rather than what we have to offer. Many times, when women are portrayed on television attempting to sell something, they are dressed in revealing clothing and have numerous close-up shots referencing their body. There is such a double standard between men an women. I would love to see the day when women are personified just the way men are.
The effect that the media has on the young girls today is such a tight grip and it is almost like they are suffocating them. They feel pressure to look a certain way as well as act a certain way. I don’t think it is fair. I feel like young girls are being deprived because they cannot grow up the way they want to because of the environment they live in. Instead, they feel they must conform to what the rest of society says is right. I guess this can hold true for boys as well. There is the pressure to be the best at sports and pressure to succeed with the girls. I am sure it is a constant struggle for both sexes.
I feel women and men can come together to attempt to achieve equal rights and respect for women on a much higher scale then it is today. I would like to believe for the future that in a number of societies discrimination against women will no longer exist. I would also like to think that the ideas for sexist advertising which portrays women in a negative light will stop. If this should happen, I think women all over the world will be able to gain the same exact dignity and clout that men are usually always handed.

3 comments:

Prof.M said...

Jenai,
Can you give some specific examples for both men and women where this holds true? Maybe, a specific message in the media or in our culture somewhere, that promotes these struggles in identity for each gender?

Jenai F. said...

For many women I believe when looking at perfect models with no flaws on the cover of a high fashion magazines can make the most attractive regular female feel bad about herself. People on a daily basis are surrounded by visual ads and television that influence them to buy certain products or join certain services. Due to this it influences people’s attitudes and beliefs and basically defines how they may behave.
Ads and television have so many messages and meanings when dealing with appropriate or inappropriate behavior for females and sometimes even males. These things begin to mold people's ideas based on men and women in our society. Generally the individuals in these ads are meant to represent the whole society. This then is what clouds people’s perceptions of what is real.
For example, women are typically seen as either homemakers, sex objects and even dependent on a men. While men are usually always portrayed as in charge, dominant and has all the authority.
Check out this site for an example of how a women is portrayed in a t.v. commercial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuNCMYKViN4
Check out this site for an example of how a man is portrayed in a magazine ad.
http://www.ltcconline.net/lukas/gender/menincontrol/pics/mencontrol27.jpg

If the link doesn't work then copy it and paste it into your browser.

zulma said...

I think I understand what you mean about women being objectified. But I wonder if there are a few instances where because of the role they are expected to play women feed into that ideal. I mean look at some of the actresses on TV and those women on beer commercials.