Bodily Objectification of Woman is such an important issue. Women are constantly being objectified in the media. It is sad to know that we are seen in a way that "dehumanizes" us. Generally, men, for the most, part find it hard to see how woman truly are because they have such a hard time looking beyond our exterior. We are more known for what type of body we have rather than what we have to offer. Many times, when women are portrayed on television attempting to sell something, they are dressed in revealing clothing and have numerous close-up shots referencing their body. This really doesn’t settle too well in my stomach. There is such a double standard between men an women and it upsets me to know that in 2008 this is still going on. I would love to see the day when women are personified just the way men are.
Due to the observation stated above, I feel this contributes to giving young girls low self esteem and a sense that they have a poor body image. The effect that the media has on the young girls today is such a tight grip and it is almost like they are suffocating them. They feel pressure to look a certain way as well as act a certain way. I don’t think it is fair. I feel like young girls are being deprived because they cannot grow up the way they want to because of the environment they live in. Instead, they feel they most conform to what the rest of society says is right. I guess this can hold true for boys as well. There is the pressure to be the best at sports and pressure to succeed with the girls. I am sure it is a constant struggle for both sexes.
Monday, May 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Great Post Jenai. I am 100% in agreement with you about how the media objectifies women. Beauty isn’t always everything, but yet I still find myself getting drawn into those stereotypes of how a woman should look. For example: I want to have a flat stomach like the girls on Victoria Secret swimsuit catalogue, so I work out and eat less. I even sometimes look in the mirror and question how I look and how I can change it. I love fashion, so I am guilty of wanting to look good with name brand clothes, shoes, make-up, etc. I do agree, men should look at us for who we are not how we should look like, but because men are drawn into the media of what a “normal” girl should look like, we find ourselves portraying that look so they can like us. I think the media illustrates a negative message to a lot of young adults. They think that because they do not fit the “normal” features of today’s woman/man, they have to change their appearance, and characteristic. I believe that’s why plastic surgery is so popular for younger and older generations.
I agree completely with you about the way the media impacts self esteem and body image of young girls. The fascination society has with celebrities, even those who are famous for doing nothing, and the premium put on being ultra thin have lead to a society with an amazingly high rate of eating disorders. The situation has gotten so bad that the ‘plus’ size models portrayed in advertising aren’t actually plus sized, but are about a size eight. These images do not portray reality and impact girls’ self image in a negative way. I’m personally revolted by how bad things have gotten and appreciate the efforts to counter this by companies like Dove who choose to advertise using normal women.
Thank you for your comments. It is sad to say but I feel like as we head to future I feel that things are going to only get worse for the younger generation. The media has such a tight grip on young girls that it is impossible for them to see and believe anything other then what the media portrays.
Jenai:
I absolutely agree with you! I'm sure young boys have pressures but girls pressures continue through womanhood. We are expected to be like the women on TV or in magazines (a lot of which is airbrushed!). Our text supports your comments when it speaks about women being stereotyped as sex objects and men thinking about sex so much. This is probably a primary reason why women are portrayed this way in advertising -- a male dominated industry -- and sex sells! I recently heard a survey that, of the men who responded, the #1 quality they looked for in a woman was a flat stomach!
Raising two daughters it was, and still is, extremely difficult for me to see how they think of themselves in comparison to "perfect" young women.
I really enjoyed this post and everyone's answers to it. If nothing else at least women realize what is happening and that can lead to cultural changes!
Dori
Yes, I agree...our culture has greater such strong expectations for both genders that sometimes we judge our worth to how well we live up to these expectations. When will the day come that we will judge ourselves by other measures? What are the expectations for the job for instance, and whether we met those expectations? Do all woman have to be beauty queens to be acceptd? Does every man have to macho to be a success in his career?
Post a Comment