I particularly enjoyed reading about the social learning theory. I have previously learned about this topic in another class I took here at Rider. It was behavior modification. In that class we spoke about the social learning theory, imitating and negative and positive reinforcement as well as many other topics. So when I read about the social learning theory all the previous information I learned quickly came back to me. The social learning theory to me is such an interesting topic. It has been said that"children learn gendered behavior from their environment." This statement is so true. For example, if a male child sees their dad always working with tools, 9 out of 10 times they, too, are apt to need to be working with tools. The behaviors that a person can learn through imitation is amazing. This is especially true in a situation of a parent. They are "always on" and their children are watching their every move to imitate behavior regardless of whether it is good or bad. For example, when I am upset or angry, I always have to be aware of the words that come out of my mouth because if I don’t, my four-year old picks up on everything that I am saying. It’s funny at times. He occasionally hears the "bad word" and then looks at me and says "mommy don’t say that - it’s a bad word." Or he’ll say "don’t say that bad word because you know I say what you say." Another example is when he sees me watching television. He will try to be the exact way I am sitting thinking that it is the right way to sit and watch television.
Also, through the social learning theory, it is explained how we, as individuals, are learning gender. Starting from the time we are infants, our culture and/or society began to teach us how to be a boy or a girl. At such an early age, my son already is aware that he is a boy and boys like sports, playing rough and enjoy working with tools. My son enjoys all those things. By being around his father and male family members they, too, reinforce all of those behaviors.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Jenai,
I agree with your statements about a child learning from their environment. Still I feel that a childs genetic sex and the hormones associated with that particular sex, (male, female) predisposes their behavior and habits in an instinctive way towards certain male or female interest. I don't know that for sure but it seems logical. However, I agree that most of what we are exposed to as children determines the direction we take as we get older. As I grew up my father taught me to throw a ball and how to play sports and as I grew I realized that I was very athletic and great at sports and enjoyed the friendships that were forged while playing sports. My mom on the other hand, taught my sisters how to cook and maintain the house. Now that my sisters are grown and married with families of their own they have nice homes and are great cooks which my brother-in-laws certainly appreciate.
Jenai,
I don't think I was supposed to respond to your blog as afterwards I realized you are in a different group than me. I enjoyed your blog anyway.
Glenn
Post a Comment