In the past women have always had fewer legal rights and career opportunities than men. Being a wife and or mother were considered a woman’s profession. As the world began to evolve women in most countries won the right to vote which helped them gain access to education and employment opportunities. Due to women’s hard work they paved the way to accomplish redirection of the traditional views of women’s roles in society.
When I think of the term, "feminism," so many different ideas run through my mind. The meaning of feminism can mean so many different things to so many different people. The word, "feminism," is a collaboration of many unique social theories and political movements. I feel that all meanings represent the past, present and future in a social aspect. It deals with the ideas of gender and sexuality as well as, gender inequality and women’s rights. It also focuses on women’s interests and their issues that mean a lot to them. The idea of feminism is to attempt to understand the idea of gender inequality.
I had no idea that there were so many different types of feminism. When I think of the word, "feminism," I think of women wanting to be in charge and have the same rights and opportunities as men do. I believe feminism is broken up in so many different categories because there are so many different meanings to the word and not all people have the same ideas and feelings as to what feminism is. So, in a way, when these definitions were made up they were trying to cover all the bases and make everyone happy.
I feel women and men can come together to attempt to achieve equal rights and respect for women on a much higher scale then it is today. I would like to believe for the future that in a number of societies discrimination against women will no longer exist.
Monday, June 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
jenai: Feminism has been an issue for quite some time now. I think that the whole concept is about having freedom, and allowing an individual to make decisions. As we’ve seen already, sports have freed women, and they will continue to free women, from behaviors, laws and customs and from the belief that women can't or shouldn't achieve or compete or win. It seems that the future for women in sports is starting to improve but there are still some flaws. I think some women are empowered by their sporting talent. Another feminist issue long sought after by women has been the right to become educated. Women have made huge strides toward receiving an equal education, but there is still much work to be done. It seems that despite the progress women have made towards equal opportunities in education, the bias in favor of men has not been erased, and even today, women must continue to fight to receive the education they deserve.
shonte
Hi Jenai...Like you , I didn't realize how many different definitions there are for "feminism" and "feminist." I just assumed it meant something along the lines of an assertive, perhaps androgynous woman who was seeking equality with men in terms of career opportunities,political aspirations, equal pay for equal work, etc. It was interesting to read about liberal feminists, power feminism, multiracial feminism, the various waves of feminism, and even anti-feminists. Who knew? Also, I thought feminism was a 70's thing, but given the issues that we still encounter as women such as violence, inequalities in earnings, and let's not forget that "second shift" & psychological responsibilities it makes total sense that these groups still have much to work for.
Which one are you?
Post a Comment